From today’s sermon, “Casting Out Demons,” here are the steps I quoted that pastor / author Derek Prince lists as biblically described steps that are helpful in being delivered from demonic activity:
- BELIEVE: “Jesus I believe in you. Forgive me, heal me, deliver me from all evil. I want to follow you as my Savior and Leader forever.” —Tell Jesus you believe in him, want his forgiveness and healing and deliverance, and want to follow Him as your Savior and Leader – because “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
- I’m teaching you how to deliver yourself from some evil and demons….that’s only possible if you start with this right belief and have faith.
- HUMBLE: “God, help!! I need you!”. Ask God for help, declaring that you really do need God’s help, and “Humble yourself before the Lord–and he will lift you up. (James 4:10)
- “God, help! I really do need you – I can’t overcome death and all my wrongdoing on my own!”
- Pride will keep you from salvation or healing or deliverance from evil and demons. If you’d rather feel good about yourself, if you allow your fear of being embarrassed to keep you from praying courageously, then you’ll stay stuck in death and evil oppression.
- TRUTH: “Jesus, I accept you as Truth. Show me the truth about you, about myself, and about my situation.” Tell God you want to embrace God’s truth, for Jesus said , “I am the way, the truth, and the life,” and “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” – John 14:6 and 8:31-32
- Jesus will reveal the truth about God and Evil.
- Jesus will reveal the truth about yourself. Be absolutely honest with yourself about your problems and sins and wrongdoing and needs. “Call your problem what you’d call it in someone else!” Gluttony, lust, unforgiveness, doubt, unbelief, anger, fear…
- CONFESS: “God, I admit the following things I’ve done that are wrong and sinful against you…”
Tell God what you’ve done wrong or are doing wrong, for “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9
- “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” – James 5:16
- It’s for your own sake—get it out in the open.
- TURN: “Father, I don’t want to do this evil anymore; I want to be free of this; I turn away from it and toward you and your way, and I receive your Holy Spirit and help.” Tell God, about your sins, “I don’t want to do this anymore,” or “I want to be free of this!” for he says to us, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” – Acts 2:38
- Turn away from and renounce, decide to totally reject, the wrong doing and wrong thinking you’ve been involved in.
- “I don’t want to do this any more.” “I want to get away from it!”
- If you want to keep it around, you can’t get free from it.
- Renounce ALL spiritual or religious activity that hasn’t had the Jesus of Scripture as it’s central focus.
- FORGIVE: “I forgive all who have harmed or hurt me including ________
[living and dead people]…” Think of anyone you’re mad at, hurt by, or hate, and tell God that you forgive them, for he says, “Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” “But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” – Luke 6:37, Matthew 6:15
- You can’t get full deliverance without full forgiveness of anyone against you
- Forgive living people….AND dead people.
- BREAK WITH FALSE RELIGION: “I renounce and reject all I’ve done with other religions and spiritual things that aren’t Christ-centered including…” Declare that you reject anything you’ve done that linked you with someone or something spiritual / religious that was not specifically Jesus-centered, for “no one can serve two masters,” and “some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.” Matthew 6:24 and 1 Timothy 4:1.
- Worship of other gods in other religions, tarot cards, Ouija boards, séances, horoscopes, mediums, fortune tellers, drug use, clubs with oaths that sound religious but aren’t focused on Jesus as the Son of God, all of this gives Satan and demons permission to be in you.
- RELEASE: “I am freed from any curses in my life thanks to Jesus’ death and resurrection when he became sin and accursed for me.” Declare you’re released from all curses in your life thanks to the death and resurrection of your savior Jesus, for “Christ redeemed us from the curse.” Galatians 3:13
- STAND: “With the Holy Spirit within me, I stand firm with Christ against Satan and Demons” Stand confidently with Christ against Satan and Demons, for “If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
- “Evil Spirit of ______ (or demon’s name that’s revealed), leave me by the power of Jesus and the Holy Spirit” Luke 8:29.
Let it come out….don’t keep talking…just keep commanding it to come out in your mind, by the power and blood of Jesus. And it may get weird for a bit – so what? If you were being attacked, would you worry about looking silly in front of people or would you do whatever it took to get free and safe????? Don’t say anything else at that point but let Christ drive it out of you.